Planning a Vacation
Where to find the fun funds
Taking a vacation is an often overlooked aspect of general well-being. A vacation can help unload stress, clear your mind and rejuvenate your body. Sadly, many people pass on vacations because they don't have the money. But vacations don't have to be expensive, and there are many ways you can set aside money throughout the year to help pay for your trip.
Here are some tips to help make your vacation possible:
Include it in your budget
Set up a personal vacation fund - it can be a separate bank account or even just a jar in your cupboard - and put away a small amount from each paycheck.
Cut back spending
Cutting back on spending even just a little will go a long way to feeding your vacation fund. Here are just a few of the many things you can cut back on without significantly changing your lifestyle:
- Clothes: People usually buy more clothes than they need. Reign in that impulse to buy those jeans you really like and instead put that money in your fund. (You probably already own five pairs anyway!)
- Eat in: Eat at home more often and pack lunches for work as often as you can. This is guaranteed to save you a lot of money. Don't forget how much that daily coffee costs you in the long run, either!
- Reduce your electricity bill: Cutting back on electricity consumption can save you a lot of money. Unplug appliances and turn off lights when you're not using them, and cut back on air conditioning and heating by a few degrees.
You don't have to save a lot of money to go on a great vacation - there are many options for vacationing cheaply:
- All-inclusive: All-inclusive trips are a very cheap way to go somewhere warm and tropical. What's more, these vacations come in packages that include the cost of airfare, the hotel room and unlimited food and drinks.
- Last minute flights: Airlines and travel companies will sell you tickets and vacation packages at a great discount if there have been cancellations at the last minute. You won't know where you're going until the last minute, but that's part of the fun!
- Cook for yourself: If you're taking a vacation and meals are not included, prepare your own meals as often as possible - dining out abroad is usually expensive.
Find the ways to save that suit you, stick to them, and your vacation dreams will become reality before you know it!