Find the window you're looking for
You've been meaning to replace your windows for some time, but you're not sure exactly what you're looking for.
Why spend the money on replacement windows?
New windows can dramatically change the look of your home. When shopping for replacement windows, some people choose to purchase exact replicas of their existing windows. If you're happy with the style and quality of your windows, this is a good option. However, some people are looking to change their windows, to provide a new look for the house and increase the value in a home sell. New windows can also help lower your home's energy bills.
You will have to consider whether you want sliding windows or hinged windows. You'll also have to think about the type of glass you want. For example, triple-paned glass provides great insulation, but results in greater weight, which could change your frame selection. Here is a brief overview of window types:
- Casement windows. These windows allow a lot of light to enter the room, in comparison with other window types. They also create open views.
- Awning windows. This window type is most often used for ventilation. They are generally situated below another window, or on top of a door. These windows offer a modern design element and are actually very attractive in a landscape design.
- Double hung windows. These windows are generally made of wood and are often found in older homes. They provide a classic design element.
- Vinyl windows. These windows act as great insulators, but they often don't match the home decor.
- Aluminum windows. While aluminum windows aren't great insulators, they are very strong.
Measurements and Price
Be sure to get a hold of the manufacturer's measuring instructions and make sure that your measurements are precise. The price will vary greatly, depending on a number of factors, including the size and type of window you're looking for, and the company you go with. Be sure to shop around for the best prices. Replacing your windows can be costly, but in the end, the benefits make the investment worthwhile.