Professional or DIY?
Carpet cleaning is essential because it helps prolong the life of your carpet, and it keeps it looking nice crisp. The main benefit of do-it-yourself carpet cleaning is that it's cheaper, but it's also a very time-consuming process. It's important that you know what you're doing, or you could end up damaging the carpet. Also, you need to ask yourself whether or not you can do as good a job as a professional carpet cleaner.
Do-it-Yourself Carpet Cleaning
If you decide to clean your carpets yourself, the first thing you need to do is remove all furniture from the space and vacuum the area thoroughly. Be sure to read the carpet cleaning equipment's directions carefully. You should do a test on a small, hidden area of the carpet, to ensure that the products don't damage the carpet. You should also use a warm water solution, which will help break down the oils and grime. In order to remove red wine stains, try club soda. If you get gum stuck to your carpet, freeze the spot with ice cubes and try to chip away at the spot.
Professional Carpet Cleaning
Professionals have more experience tackling the tough stains – they'll know what materials and techniques to use. If you've got a really tough stain, it might be economical for you to pay a one-time professional cleaning service price, rather than repeatedly paying to rent some equipment. The company should also provide some sort of warranty.
Some general carpet care tips:
- Regular vacuuming is very important.
- If someone spills on your carpet, don't rub or scrub the stain. Instead, blot the area.
- As soon as the stain has been made, take action. The longer you leave it, the less chance you have of removing it.
- Make sure you clean your doormats regularly. This will limit the amount of dirt that is brought into your home.
- Don't allow guests to wear their shoes inside your home.
- After a cleaning, stain-resistant carpets have a reduced ability to resist stains, so you should have the protector reapplied.
While carpet cleaning might be expensive and time-consuming, it's important for the overall image of a room and is a vital house cleaning chore. A little effort now could save you from having to purchase a new carpet in the future.