Online Movie Rentals
The future of movies
Remember the days of late fees? Remember bundling up in the freezing cold to make a trip to the video store, only to find the movie you wanted was rented out? Those days are finally gone.
Today, online rental companies such as Netflix and Blockbuster Online have revolutionized the movie rental industry. Now you can rent movies and keep them as long as you want without ever leaving home. Just like online shopping, there are countless advantages to using an online movie rental website over a brick and mortar company. Here are just a few:
- No more late fees. With online rental companies, you keep the movies as long as you want. They'll never fine you. In fact, they actually want you to keep the movie for a long time. All you pay is one monthly fee to rent videos. You'll never pay a late fee again. This alone makes the switch worthwhile!
- Set it and forget it. Online rental companies have easy-to-use websites. Log on and add movies to your movie queue, and they will start arriving in the mail in the order you arranged them. Rearrange and add new movies as much as you like.
- The price is right. Netflix, for example, offers a "three DVDs at a time" service for $16.99. This means you can have three movies checked out at once, and every time you send a movie back to Netflix, they mail the next one in your queue. It's simple.
- Vastly larger selection. Unless your taste in movies is 100 percent conventional, there were probably times that the video store didn't carry the movie you wanted. You'll be stunned at the number of selections that online rental companies have available - Netflix currently boasts over 70,000 videos. You can bet they'll have your favorite old or obscure films.
- Turnaround is quick. You'll be amazed at how quickly your new videos arrive. It won't take weeks, but rather a few days.
- No more going out in the cold. When the temperature is in the teens and the cold wind is howling, what's the one thing you always want to do? Curl up on the couch with a warm blanket and a great movie. But the last thing you want to do is go out in that cold. You'll never to again with online movie rentals. The DVDs are brought right to your door.
- Save movies before the DVD is even out. Have you ever seen a preview for a movie and thought to yourself, "I'd love to see that but I don't really want to see it in the theaters." By the time the DVD comes out months later, there's a good chance you have forgotten all about that movie. But with online rental, you can save movies to your rental queue months before they release to DVD.
- The future is streaming movies. If you haven't watched a movie on your PC, you probably will soon. The technology is in place and Netflix is already offering a video streaming service that includes over 6,000 movies. Soon you'll be able to watch whatever you want, whenever you want, on your PC.
Leading Online Movie Rental Companies
Netflix is one of the most well-known movie companies. It offers the following five levels of service:
- 4 DVDs at a time with unlimited rentals per month, for $23.99.
- 3 DVDs at a time with unlimited rentals per month, for $16.99.
- 2 DVDs at a time with unlimited rentals per month, for $13.99.
- 1 DVD at a time with unlimited rentals per month, for $8.99.
- 1 DVD at a time with a two-rental limit per month, for $4.99.
The Blockbuster Online program is a bit different since they still have brick and mortar stores. Its programs are as follows:
- 3 DVDs at a time with unlimited rentals via mail and five in-store exchanges per month for $19.99 (or $15.99 for unlimited mail-only exchanges).
- 2 DVDs at a time with unlimited rentals via mail and three in-store exchanges per month, for $16.99 (or $13.99 for unlimited mail-only exchanges).
- 1 DVD at a time with unlimited rentals via mail and two in-store exchanges per month, for $11.99 (or $8.99 for unlimited mail-only exchanges).
Brick and mortar movie rental companies are quickly becoming a thing of the past, and it's no fluke. Online rental companies offer cheaper prices, no late fees, a wider selection and much more. If you're thinking about making the switch to an online rental company, you won't be disappointed. In fact, before long you'll wonder why you weren't doing this months ago.
By Shawn Currie