Medical Hair Restoration

Is there a cure for baldness?

It's normal to shed some hair each day, as part of the cycle of hair growth. At any one time, about 90 percent of your hair is growing. The other 10 percent is in a resting phase. After two to three months, the resting hair will fall out and the new hair starts to grow in its place. However, some people experience excessive hair loss, especially as they age.

What causes hair loss?

Everyone knows that natural aging can bring about hair loss for some people, to varying extents. However, there are also many other causes of hair loss. For instance, illness, major surgery, hormonal problems, post-pregnancy, medications, infections and underlying diseases may all lead to hair loss.

Once the underlying cause is diagnosed, a doctor can determine the relevant form of treatment. For men, the most common form of hair loss is male pattern baldness. This type of hair loss is usually caused by an inherited trait. Women may experience female pattern baldness, but it shows as thinning of the hair rather than total hair loss.

Common solutions to hair loss

With the high frequency of hair loss among seniors, many treatments and hair loss remedies have been developed over the years. The most common solutions are:

  • Hair transplants. Hair transplantation is a surgical procedure during which the surgeon removes areas of hair from the back or sides of the head and reattaches these areas to the balding area. The newly attached hairs should then grow from the balding spot. It is the most popular hair replacement surgery, but can also be the most expensive.
  • Medicinal products. Hair growth medicinal products are available by prescription only and contain the active ingredient "minoxidil" in its strongest form. The most common treatment is Rogaine, which has also been referred to as the "miracle drug" for hair loss treatment.
  • Thickening shampoos. Despite what you may think, there are some hair loss shampoo products on the market that do make a noticeable difference with hair loss. Also containing minoxidil, the products provide resistance against further hair loss and may even promote hair growth. They must be used regularly for full effect.
  • Wigs and toupees. Purchasing a wig for a woman or a toupee for a man may be a temporary or permanent solution to hair loss. Relatively cheap and risk-free, they restore confidence to those who are insecure from hair loss.